Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

13 July 2010

Writer's Block

Well, sure, there are some circumstances that can keep us from writing, but if you ask me, there's no such thing as writer's block.

Stuck for a segue?  Pulling your hair out over POV?  Tired of trying to tidy up the TOC?  Characters taking a coffee break?  You're a writer, not a drama queen: those are bothers, not blocks.  Work on something else for half an hour (or until your primary project begs you to come back).  For variety, try

* browsing through baby name books -- a.k.a. character name books
* cutting up a stalk of celery and munching
* going outside and imagining/sketching ways to re-landscape
* vacuuming
* going to the nearest thrift shop and looking at the dishware
* looking through a catalog/department store ads for pix of your characters
* reorganizing your closet
* listening to music you think you don't like
* working with a writing prompt -- like the ones I post daily on Twitter, where I'm AOtheBroomgirl

I say, you're not blocked.  It's just time to take a break and refresh your fancy or reapproach your facts.

Let's see what the other Gecko Gals have to say!

1 comment:

Jude Johnson said...

I agree that "Writer's Block" is a state of mind, kinda like Texas: you might think you have to slog through it, but other routes are definitely available - and sometimes preferable.

That said, there is a difference between feeling "blocked" and fermenting ideas. I prefer to call any non-writing periods my dormant phases. Like daffodils in the winter, creative juices sometimes need to lie fallow and gather intensity before bursting through the crust of complacency to bloom.

Nature definitely helps. A hike into the local canyons often does it for me. But reading other authors' works can inspire as well. Especially those who create in totally different genres from what you work in. I adore Neil Gaiman and Jasper Fforde precisely because I can't emulate their satire and wit. At least, not yet. I have more growing to do...
~Jude