Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

02 August 2010

Challenging Ourselves as Writers

"What am I afraid to write?"  Today, at least, that's not a soul-searching question.  It's about what intimidates you as a writer.

Here's an example: When I try to write romantic or sexy scenes, they tend to be awkward, unrealistic, and unintentionally hilarious.  This hints that I could seriously suck at writing romance novels.  

But they're popular, and the return could be worth the effort; fear of even self-ridicule notwithstanding, I'd like to see if I can learn to do it.  So I've I've challenged myself to write one.  (The other day I thought of a good plot, so now . . . now excuses!)  

Is there a genre you'd like to try, but . . .?
Do you have a piece you think is good but you've been too nervous to submit?
Are those first few keystrokes of your first work holding you at bay?

Read up on style and technique to boost your confidence.  Double check the agent, publisher, or magazine listings to be sure you're barking up the right market.  Talk to writer friends -- trust me, they've been through it.  Then take a deep breath and go for it!

Not all fearless writers are successful -- but all successful writers challenge their fears.

No comments: