Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

31 August 2010

End of Summer

When I was little, the end of summer was signaled by the need to wear sweaters when I went outside to play.  Later, it was about back-to-school shopping -- when it was still all pencils and flat crayons and packs of notebook paper that had gotten sort of bent at the edges so some of the pages had to be peeled apart. 

Actually, it stayed about back-to-school for quite a while, but the supplies changed from paper and stuff to new clothes!  And shoes.  New shoes.  Lots of 'em, thank you.  (Shoes have now dissociated themselves from any seasonal affiliation and new ones are heralds of all year.  :-)

Now, well, now "end of summer" translates literally in my mind to "Samhain" (pronounced saw-wayne, by the way, not sam-hain), which is a Gaelic-ish word that means end of summer.

It's more than a word, of course: it's what most people know as Halloween, and the highest holy day on the Wiccan liturgical calendar.  Which yes, I celebrate.  And on which, since spring and fall have been added to the originally bi-seasonal calendar, the real end of summer is on August 1st, a Sabbat we call Lammas.  (For more about the Wiccan Wheel of the Year, check out www.FoursightAdventureWicca.com.)

Then again . . . here in Arizona, summer ends gradually, sometime between the last of the monsoon rains and the first seriously cooler weather.  There are already hints of it in the mornings, and the days are getting shorter at both ends now -- but it's going to be a while before it feels like fall. 

Personally, I'll know summer's over when I can sit at my desk and write without having to turn on the fan!  In the meantime, when it gets too hot in my office, I'll just slip on some new shoes and mosey over to Jude's.  Maybe she'll offer me a green bean.  :-)

1 comment:

Jude Johnson said...

I promise never to offer a frozen green bean...

August 1st as the end of summer doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, if it could end the humid hotness. Alas, arbitrary dates on a calendar mean nothing to weather patterns.

And I always wondered how to pronounce Samhain correctly - thank you.