Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

17 August 2010

My First Love

I began my writing career in 1980 when I sold my first feature story to a magazine. At the time I was writing features and short stories. Then, the musical director at my church who produced a musical/variety show every year asked me to write a comedy skit for the annual show. She gave me the basic idea that she wanted me to write about, zany vampires. I wrote a skit called, Count Me In. Since I was already taking part in the show as a choir member, I was standing back stage when the skit was performed. I knew the first line of the skit that was supposed to get the audience to laugh. I was nervous wondering if I would get the response I hoped for...the actor said the line and the audience roared with laughter. The skit was a success and I was hooked on live theater. Since then, I have had plays produced in New York City, Los Angeles, and regional theaters across the country. Although I also write nonfiction books and novels, live theater is and always will be a primary interest in my life. Today, with the help of my friends, the Gecko Gals, I run a Readers Theater where new original plays are read. All the Gecko Gals are talented actresses and I am happy to keep working in live theater, my first love.

1 comment:

Jude Johnson said...

And you do it so well! Humor is difficult to judge - will they "get it" or will they sit there stonefaced? I hope you always continue your love affair with the theater!