Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

08 February 2011

Valentine Writing

Ah. we're on the slippery slope to Valentine's Day. Have you ever received a poem as a gift? I don't mean a Hallmark card, or a "Roses are red" thing, although those are pretty sweet to get from your children:
Roses are red, carnations are pink
You sure are pretty but your feet so stink

No, the act of putting one's heart into words, to truly express those notions of affection seems to be disappearing into the ether with most of the ozone layer. How romantic would it be to receive the certainty of how another human feels about you... The only other mode of such expression is a song. Not many of us are composers, but lyricists are, indeed, poets. I think Gordon Lightfoot is one of the most under-rated lyricists out there... For example:

At times I just don't know
How you could be anything but beautiful
I think that I was made for you
And you were made for me
And I know that I won't ever change
We've been friends through rain or shine
For such a long, long time
Laughing eyes and smiling face
It seems so lucky just to have the right
Of telling you with all my might
You're beautiful tonight

Or Eric Clapton's "Change the World":

If I could reach the stars I'd pull one down for you
Shine it on my heart so you could see the truth
That this love I have inside is everything it seems
But for now I find it's only in my dreams
That I can change the world
I would be the sunlight in your universe
You will think my love was really something good
Baby if I could change the world
 
So what are your Top Five Love songs with lyrics that say what you only wish you would have? I've given you two of mine... 

Happy VD, everyone!
~Jude

No comments: