Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

Authors who are "Differently Expertised"...

23 March 2011

Passing of an Icon

Elizabeth Taylor died today at the age of 79. She was an incredibly beautiful woman, not only of her generation but for more than one era of her life. Her beauty extended beyond her unique violet eyes to inside; devotion to charity work became one of her greatest legacies.

The death of a prominent person, celebrity or not, makes me wonder about obituaries. Should a person write their own before their passing? It's not like you'd get to read it afterward - at least, not in this plane of reference. What words best describe a life? This morning, I heard "icon," "classy lady," "accomplished actress," and "star." "Remarkable human being" is my favorite, issued by Elton John talking about his fellow AIDS activist.

I guess that would be one of the best things anyone could say about a person. I would hope when I go someone would feel moved to note the ways I made a positive impact, tried to leave the world with something better. "She made a damn fine meatloaf," or "Nobody ever died from her cooking" just doesn't have the same impact as "remarkable human being" - but you know, for the family that might just be the most important aspect.

RIP Dame Taylor. Your beauty and performances will be forever preserved on film, but your determination to help people afflicted with HIV and AIDS when it was a fearful and fatal entity shone brighter than your Hollywood star.

2 comments:

Jude Johnson said...

"She was irresistible mayhem."
JOEL ROSENTHAL, a jeweler, on his friend Elizabeth Taylor.

Now THAT'S what I'd want someone to say about me...

~Jude

MA Hutch said...

I grew up with Liz. She was four years older than I, but got to know her in "National Velvet" and stayed with her until her last day. She never knew me, but that was okay.

As I read the obits this morning, I saw to my dismay that the grand majority of those being praised were in their 70s. That's been the case for the last couple of weeks. I was heartened however by those whose final ages were somewhere in the 80s.

When I was in my 20s, I looked ahead and felt that I could easily reach my 70s which were, oh, about 150 years away, so I fiddle-farted around and wasted a lot of time.

When I was in my 40s I began to realize that I'd better think about what I wanted to be when I grew up.

When I was in my 50s-60s I was lucky enough to begin to travel and knew that that was what I wanted to do forever. I still want to, but there are limitations. So, okay, that wish will have to be modified.

However, I began to write, and that's something I know I can do for a long, long while.

Here's the thing: now that I'm in my mid-70s, I realize just how young that age is. Reaching into the 80s may be attainable - I'm thinking somewhere around 84. Ask me when I'm 83 what age I next wish to be.

Whatever age I shall be at the end, always remember that, for the most part, just like "ole blue eyes," I did it my way!